Joining Gaia Host Collective
Worker-Owner Wanted - this position has been filled 10/15/2014
Position Focus: Customer Support and Business Administration
- Email and Phone Customer Support for Email Software Setup, Web Sites, Domain Registration, how the Internet works, Billing and Account questions
- Participation as a worker-owner in a cooperatively owned business!
In line with our commitment to social justice, we follow the general principles of affirmative action in our hiring process. Women, people of color, LGBT/queer folks, and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Location:Ideally you live in Western Massachusetts or Southern Vermont, but we are open to candidates from other locations..
Work from your own home, secure high-speed internet connection required. We regularly co-work virtually through video conference.
Start Date: As soon as possible (posted September 2014)
- ___ You know how the Internet works
- ___ General computer troubleshooting skills on Windows & Mac
- ___ Strong Phone and Email Customer Service/Technical Support skills
- ___ Good writing skills
- ___ Ability to explain complex technical issues, in "plain english"
- ___ Some business administration experience and financial literacy
- ___ Skills bonus: You have some unix/linux sysadmin experience
Work Hours & Compensation:
We are currently hiring for a 20 hour/week position.
- You'll be on front-line technical support shifts, virtually co-working, for 15 hours/week during our regular Business Hours from 7am - 7pm Monday - Thursday and 7am - 4pm Friday.
- You will also flexibly work another 5 hours/week based on your schedule
You are interested in a long term permanent position as part-time or path to full-time.
Compensation Starts at: $17.00/hour. Provisional worker-owner period is 6 months to 1 year. Full worker-owners also share in profits. We are a collective that maintains a 1:1 pay ratio, independent of skill set, through pay parity tracking over time.
Benefits: Flexible work schedule, Unpaid Vacation and Sick time as needed (coordinated with co-worker-owners), 2% “Vacation bonus”, Up to 10% paid time for Skill Building, Training, and engaging with the Cooperative Economy.
Non-Business Hours Work: If you are interested working after-hours or being on call, it is available.
- You have experience or interest in cooperative ownership
- You are interested in being a long term worker-owner of Gaia Host
- Social Justice and Care for Earth are important to you
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Cooperative work ethic, works well in a team
- You have interpersonal conflict resolution skills
- You have consensus and group decision making experience
- You have vision in your life and the will to peacefully manifest it
- You have a sense of humor and know there's more to this planet than the Internet
Gaia Host Collective is a 10 year old worker-owned collective with owners in Southern Vermont and Western Mass. We have one worker-owner temporarily living in Northern California.
We are committed to providing reliable Internet hosting services, while minimizing our environmental impact and maximizing our social benefit.
Gaia Host offers Domain Registration, DNS, Web and Email Hosting, and Managed Virtual Servers.
We own and maintain our own servers and our hosting server infrastructure that we colocate in datacenters in Boston, MA and Austin, TX.
Our Technology Platform
Core Systems: FreeBSD, Apache, MySQL, PHP, Ruby on Rails, Perl, Unix shell scripting, IMAP/POP3/SMTP
Common web applications used by our customers: Drupal, Wordpress, Joomla, CiviCRM.
Programming / Database: MySQL, PHP, Perl, Ruby
How To Apply
E-mail cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Current worker owners may be reached by phone at: 1-(800) 672-8060:
Matthew (x804), Charles (x803), Lauren (x806)
Lauren Goldrich, Matthew King, Charles Strader
Gaia Host Collective LLC