Joining Gaia Host Collective
Position Focus: Customer Support and Business Administration
- Email and Phone Customer Support for Email Software Setup, Web Sites, Domain Registration, how the Internet works, Billing and Account questions
- Business Administration: Bookkeeping, A/R and A/P management, Customer Maintenance
- Additional duties include participation in the development of a cooperatively owned business!
Location:You live in Massachusetts, So. Vermont, or So. New Hampshire.
Work from your own home 98% of the time (high speed internet connection required). If you live in Western Massachusetts/So. Vermont we have a co-working office space in Shelburne Falls, MA that is also available.
Start Date:Summer 2013
- ___ You know how the Internet works
- ___ General computer troubleshooting skills on Windows & Mac
- ___ Strong Phone and Email Customer Service/Technical Support skills
- ___ Some business administration experience
Work Hours & Compensation:Flexible part-time (Work Hours range available: 15-25 hours per week); Shifts occur during our regular Business Hours from 7am - 7pm Monday - Thursday, 7am - 4pm Friday. Customer support coverage and scheduling is shared with other worker-owners.
Some on-call overnight and weekend emergency response duties
Long term permanent position as part-time, path to more work hours, path to worker-ownership in the cooperative
Compensation: $15.50 - $18/hour. Provisional worker-owner period is 6 months to 1 year. Full worker-owners also share in profits.
Benefits: Flexible work schedule, Unpaid Vacation and Sick time as needed (coordinated with co-worker-owners), 2% “Vacation bonus”, Up to 10% paid time for Skill Building, Training, and engaging with the Cooperative Economy
- You have experience or interest in cooperative ownership
- You are interested in being a long term worker-owner of Gaia Host
- Social Justice and Care for Earth are important to you
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Cooperative work ethic, works well in a team
- You have interpersonal conflict resolution skills
- You have consensus and group decision making experience
- You have vision in your life and the will to peacefully manifest it
- You have a sense of humor and know there's more to this planet than the Internet
In line with our commitment to social justice, we follow the general principles of affirmative action in our hiring process. Women, people of color, GLBT/queer folks, and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Gaia Host Collective is an 8 year old worker-owned cooperative with owners in Austin, TX, Southern Vermont, and Western Mass.
We are committed to providing reliable Internet hosting services, while minimizing our environmental impact and maximizing our social benefit.
Gaia Host offers Domain Registration, Managed web and e-mail Hosting for small to large traffic websites and friendly customer service for technical and non-technical customers.
We own and maintain our own servers and our hosting server infrastructure is located primarily in two data center spaces in Somerville, MA and Bedford, NH. We are expanding into Austin, TX in 2013.
Our Technology Platform
Core Systems: FreeBSD, Apache, MySQL, PHP, Ruby on Rails, Perl, Unix shell scripting, IMAP/POP3/SMTP
Common web applications used by our customers: Drupal, Wordpress, Joomla.
Programming / Database: MySQL, PHP, Perl, Ruby
Legacy Server Systeams: Windows Server, IIS/Cold Fusion
How To Apply
E-mail cover letter and resume to .
Current worker owners may be reached by phone at: (800) 672-8060:
Matthew (x804), Charles (x803), Benjamin (x802), or Marshall (x805)
Charles Strader, Benjamin Bradley, Marshall Vaughan, Matthew King
Gaia Host Collective